Uncle Mort Ethos

For years people have depend on seeking the advice of friends to help with their problems. There was also an alternative what appeared in the Agony Aunt or advice column in a newspapers or magazines. These were the places for people to consult the oracle aunt and ask questions about anything in life. Uncle Mort's blog is the home of an agony uncle and is where you can also ask questions on any subject. The answers you get may or may not fulfill your wishes.

Monday 7 January 2013

Demon Drink

Captain Tipple Asked:  "I wonder if I could interest you in joining our temperance society."


If there is one thing that is bound to get my dander up it is a do-gooder from the Sally Bash sticking their nose in where it's not wanted. If I wanted to join a temperance society, I would join the one of my own choice. As I am an intemperate old curmudgeon at the best of times, I can't see any society wanting me to join them.





Now, what's wrong with social drinking. I love to have the "odd" drink of an evening 1-3-5-7-9 etc. If I choose to have a quiet evening at home or maybe down at the pub with a small flagon or two, then its my business. 

Lets suppose that rather than alcohol it was sleeping that was my tipple of choice. Before I realized it, I had become a morning as well as an afternoon sleeper. I decided I needed to stop sleeping. I lay awake most of that night, and by noon the next day every bone in my body ached through lack of sleep. In a blind panic, I nervously started to cat nap. Then I finally knew the terrible truth: I was hooked. I couldn't quit. I was a sleep-a-holic. Would you recommend that I join insomniacs anonymous. 


My generation learned the value of drink by the time we were eight. Stout and beer bottles all had a value, when we returned them to the off licence.  Young people today, don’t know jack shit about proper drink. They all buy those pre-mixed carbonated monstrosities in a can. Or crab-apple and  vodka alco-pop in a screw top bottle. They have never attained the basics of liquid measurement in litres or pints. They don’t know how to drink.  What do the young drinkers of today know of cask ales, when its fizzy beer pressure fed through a sparkler that they drink. 

That’s the problem with young people today they don't know anything about brewing, hops and a hand pulled pint in a cold glass.  They don't know about taste, flavour, the head and how to slowly savour a pint of the finest beer that can be brewed. They only know about getting trashed and achieving this as fast and as cheap as possible.

Regards.

Uncle Mort.





No comments:

Post a Comment